Hola! Happy Thursday everyone 🙂
Last week’s questions and answers (las preguntas y respuestas de la tarea de la semana pasada):
Question 1: The muscular system consists of what? The main muscles of the body are located where?
Answer: The muscular system consists of muscles. The main muscles of the body are located in the head, trunk, and limbs.
Question 2: Fill in the blank (Usa la teoría de arriba para rellenar los espacios vacíos).
Answer: Muscles in the trunk. These muscles are flat and large. They support the spine, protect the organs in the abdomen, and help us breathe.
Types of Movement
Movement can be voluntary or reflex. These movements involve the sense organs, the nerves, the brain or the spinal cord, and the muscles.
When the body moves, we use both the nervous system and the locomotor system.
We make movements continuously in response to different stimuli. We are aware of many of them, like walking, jumping, chewing, or raising our hand in class. These movements are voluntary movements.
To make voluntary movements happen, the brain sends an order. We do them quickly and almost without thinking.
How do we make voluntary movements?
For example, this is what happens when we receive a phone call.
- The ears hear the sound of the phone. This information travels to the brain through the auditory nerve.
- The brain identifies the sound and decides to answer the phone.
- The brain sends an order to the muscles through the motor nerves.
- The muscles respond by picking up the phone.
We make involuntary movements without thinking. For example, when we touch a cactus and quickly move our hand away.
These reflex movements are rapid, automatic responses to stimuli. They can protect us from being hurt in dangerous situations, so they are important for our survival.
The response is often produced by the spinal cord, not the brain.
How do we make reflex movements?
For example, when we touch something hot.
- The skin senses that the glass is very hot. The nerves carry this information to the spinal cord.
- The spinal cord receives the information and sends an order to the hand muscles through the nerves.
- The muscles respond by pulling the hand away from the hot glass.
Tarea para esta semana:
Question 1: What is the difference between voluntary movement and reflex movement?
Vocabulary: voluntary movement, reflex movement